Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Best program to create gadgets?

JackoMac

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 - 8:31 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I am interested in making my own basic gadget, but have no idea where to start. Is Xcode being updated to make gadgets in Tiger? If so, how are people creating them now?
Jeremy
Administrator

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 - 8:31 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I would probably recommend you download a few of the gadgets from the Gadget Archive and open them up, to see how they work. I think you will realize it is a bit easier than you expected, and simple HTML/Javascript skills can make you something decent. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
vmirce

Xcode isn't needed to make basic gadgets, you can simply create them with CSS and HTML. However you can add extra functionality into them by using Cocoa.
Madmandan

^^What those guys said.
jego

So Jeremy that means I wouldn't need to learn JS again, I know html & CSS.

I mean I also have a JS book lying around here somewhere but yea.
Jeremy
Administrator

Exactly right jego, Dashboard uses standard html/css/javascript, so if you can create something with only html, it can be a gadget. If you want it to do something useful as well, you will probably need to add in a bit of javascript.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.