Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Making Widgets like Konfabulators

Poll Results: Should people be allowed to post Dashboard Widgets that use Konfabulator artwork without permission from the original creator?
Yes
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
No
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

kineel

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 - 9:46 pm    Post subject: Making Widgets like Konfabulators Reply with quote

There are some precedents being set in the Showcase that need to be reviewed. It seems to me that creating a new Dashboard Widget that closely mimics a Konfabulator Widget is all very well and good, but taking the graphics directly from a Konfabulator Widget without the permission of the original author should not be allowed. It's stealing, pure and simple.

Of course, if the original Konfabulator Widget author chooses to remake his own creation into a Dashboard Widget, all the better. But taking someone elses work and posting it here should not be condoned, even if you give credit to the original author.

Get permission from the person who created the original, or don't publish the Widget.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 - 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree and will remove any widgets posted without the permission of the original author upon request.
Ludge

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 - 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with you there, ripping resources is not a good thing to do. I'd also like to point out that my BatteryInfo widget was designed to mimic the konfab one, but it does use different graphics made by a different artist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.