Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

This will win the widget contest:

AutumnFire

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 - 1:28 pm    Post subject: This will win the widget contest: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised that this hasn't been done yet, but it has the capability to be one of the most popular widgets to date.

The point is, you could set an alarm, and at a given time, it would start playing a cd, or a track from iTunes, or streaming an online radio station. Obviously, it would have to have a snooze button, and the usual alarm clock amenities.

More creatively, it could (in settings) provide control over WHICH iTunes track it played (maybe a specific playlist, option to choose at random etc.), it could have an adjustable snooze time, and anything else which might be useful.
Boramor

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 - 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pro this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
djheron

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 - 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would win my vote at least. I'm having a hard time finding a good clock that works in Tiger. I used iAlarm before I upgraded from Panther... And that just doesn't want to work. Boo. And I'm not really that big of a fan of iRooster.
AutumnFire

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys... you can do it! I KNOW YOU CAN!!
Ludge

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure this is possible, but it would probably take up a fair bit of CPU as it would have to be running even when the dashboard is hidden.

Having said that, my exams finish tomorrow, and I'll look into it afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
kineel

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 - 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the point? There are already applications that do this without having to work around the issues with having a widget live when the Dashboard is not displayed.

Here's a poor man's version of a Music Alarm clock. Open iCal, set an event, set the alarm action to 'Open a file' and select the music file you want it to play. Then when the time comes up, iTunes is Launched, and the music plays. Only thing missing is a snooze button, but you don't have to create any special software or widget to get most of what you want.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 - 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a neat idea.

At first, I didn't appreciate the idea of an alarm clock in my computer, but I'm warming up to it. It could conceivably be quite useful in many situations, especially if it could be put on a time in addition to a routine schedule.

Unfortunately, I'm often not within hearing range of my machine.

The only thing I'd like to point out, other than the CPU issue, is that one of the core similarities of widgets is that the user calls them up, whenever he needs them. An alarm would essentially work in the exact opposite way, calling the user. But of course, if it's useful, who cares?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.