Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Graphic Designers and Programmers = Good Gadgets!

Madmandan

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 - 6:49 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I think it'd be cool if maybe graphic designers with little/no coding skills could post in there, and programmers with little/no graphic skills could post in here too - and could then work together on gadgets.

I'm sure there are coders out there who would make gadgets, but can't design out their ass, and photoshop whiz's that love making gadgets to look at, but can't code if their life depended on it.

So how about those people with one skill, but not the other, post in here to get some cool gadgets happening!
vmirce

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 - 6:49 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Nice designs spaul! I have a few comments on them:

1) The photo finder, I don't know what a 'lightbox' is, so I guess this gadget isn't designed for people like me!

2) I think a dictionary/thesaurus in one gadget, and language translation in another would be better, to minimize options. I like the idea of having a choice of two websites for each. I'm not sure what the 'more' button does though. If I wanted more descriptions, wouldn't I just scroll down?

3) The arrows work really well for the globetrotter gadget! I found that perfectly clear that the first arrow means 'leaving' and the second means 'returning'. However maybe you should make the 'from' and 'to' areas popup lists, to avoid spellign mistakes. Also once someone searches, I'm not sure how the results would be displayed?

Keep it up! I hope you find someone with coding knowledge to work with.
spauldingg

I have updated my gadget design page with a few ideas...
everyone is talking about a dictionary gadget, so I designed one if only to give coders some interface ideas...
also a colorful little gadget for simple price searches for flights...

see them here: http://www.designasaur.com/gadgets

Anybody want to get the layered photoshop files contact me at joel{at }designasaur.com
vmirce

I wish I had the skill to do either one! But I'm useless at both graphics and coding. I am happy to make suggestions and my ideas however!
Chris

Oh - and I just looked at it in Safari 1.3 and that bug has gone - which is nice Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Chris

Um, that was me above. Forgot to sign in...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
spauldingg

I'll try some for snake this weekend, but I'm not familiar with the game. Are there any flash versions or freeware Snake games I can get familiar with?
Chris

This would be great. I have next to no skills when it comes to graphics, but I'm getting quite prolific in making gadgets. Feel free to make the snake game look good and I'll add the graphics soon.

Cheers.
spauldingg

I'm no longer anonymous:

I'm the graphic designer, code name: spauldingg, now that I've registered. Let me know what graphics you might want, and I'll try to work with you. I might come up with some visuals for ideas posted here on the forums, even if not asked... Smile
spauldingg

Thanks for the complements, and the feedback. We're all just stumbling in the dark unless we have Tiger, so we can only guess what will or will not work.

On the Getty and Corbis stockphoto sites, a designer can add a bunch of Photos to a lightbox while searching, and then go back to them to decide which ones to purchase.

The translate button in the Dictionary was an afterthought, but I think it would work fine. Just a little (or a lot?) of extra code, and the foreign word and definition would replace the english one in the text field. It's not meant to translate sentences or paragraphs. A whole other gadget would do that. It just hits up dictionary sites in other languages. (aka: a spanish version of dictionary.com)

The scrollbar was put in at the last minute after reading a thread at MacNN about the idea. I wasn't sure at first if gadgets could use them so I put in the back/more buttons first. I still think this is a good combo, though, because just one definition might be long enough to need scrolling.

The travel one is admittedly half baked right now. My goal was to make something that wasn't just a rectangle. I really like how it looks, but hey, it's gotta work first. My thought was that when you click the go button, it would just launch the appropriate browser page with the info filled in and the cheapest price shown. Just a jumping off point for the trip planning search. I think it could be more, so I'll put more thought into it.

Next up: an atlas gadget.

Thanks again for your kind words.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.