Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

why .gadget?

Jon Maddox

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 - 7:54 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

While apple calls these widgets, they have an extension of .gadget. The reason behind this is because Konfabulator already has control over the .widget extension and file type, so it couldn't be used. Personally i think apple should have just called them gadgets, it wouldn't have stepped on anyone's toes and its a bit more discriptive for the end user. Apple usually don't like abstract names, IE Mail, iMovie, iDvd, etc. So why not call it gadget? That puts a perfect image in somones head, a small app that does certain functions that are more or less extra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Jeremy
Administrator

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 - 7:54 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I agree Jon, but sometimes we just don't know why Apple does thigns =) I remember before iTunes was released, everyone was positive it would be called 'iMusic', and iTunes then seemed like such a strange name.

One of the main reasons for calling this site The Dahboarder was to avoid using the name 'gadget' or 'widget', so that if Apple does another name change before release, we don't have to change names!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
The Inn Keeper

Yeah if Apple doesn't officially change the name to gadget before release, that would be just stupid. Even if they put them in the LIbrary/Widgets folder, it would be confusing to have all these files with a .gadget extension called 'widgets'. And they can't use .widget, since it will mess with Konfab. Silly Steve.
cripen

I much prefer the name widget. I can see why Steve didn't like "gadget", but the confusion with Konfab would be too much. Maybe they should call them Desk Accessories again?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.