Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Comments and Suggestions

Quit violating GPL

assassin

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 7:58 pm    Post subject: Quit violating GPL Reply with quote

Yeah. That's basically it. We all know this is phpBB, and you're not giving them any credit or releasing your modified source code. I'm giving you one week to do either, or I'm reporting you to the FSF.
yourworstnightmare

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this. You need to give them credit at the bottom. Doing that hurts no one
Administrator

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct -- no need to get fussy about it though. We're all basically friends here right? I'm not positive how it got removed, but it's irresponsible and unacceptable that we have. Thanks for pointing it out. Smile
assassin

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were until somebody decided to change the format of the contest. But as a raging GNU communist, I thank you.
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am personally sorry you feel this way, accept my apologies for the disqualification. However, we have conclusive evidence that the developer voted more than once for his own widget. Again, I'm extremely sorry that you do not agree with our decision, but I stand by it.
tobobo

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because they are behind the same router doesn't mean they're the same person. Remove the duplicate votes, and make sure they don't happen in the first place.

And PM99, if you're reading this, I'd really appreciate getting that microphone that I won oh... 5 months ago? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This site breaks GPL, that ain't cool
(from worstnightmare's sig)
OK! OK! We get it! It was bad! It was a dumb mistake and what we were doing did violate the GPL. Again, I'm sorry.

And again, I'm sorry, but while Hula Girl is indeed a fun widget by an undoubtably talented developer who is probably deserving of a Mac mini, we have seen a great deal of evidence that he casted multiple votes and no conclusive evidence that he hasn't. If anyone can step forward with proof that the developer did not cheat, we'll apologize and retract our disqualification.

Hopefully this way debate will continue sanely?
assassin

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... knowing the Hula Girl fans that's not likely... Wink
gnomette

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to give them credit at the bottom. Doing that hurts no one

Better yet would be a link to http://www.phpbb.com/ . Small bit, but it would create more interest in phpBB.

Has anybody else had problem with this site rendering VERY strangely in Safari (Tiger 10.4.1 version)? It looks like the form elements have a fixed width, which will overlap the "Recent Widgets" column on the right if the window is too narrow. I've put a picture of it on my website at:

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~jswitte/dbw.jpg

Jim Witte
assassin

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm getting the same problem in FF 1.0.4.
Mayhem

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quit violating GPL Reply with quote

Now I'm no expert on the GPL, but as they're not distributing their modified binaries (unless you would count letting people visit this site) I don't see why they'd have any legal obligation to release their source (aside from being a morally right thing to do). I very much agree that it's a bad thing they weren't giving any credit to the phpBB group though.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome wrote:
Quote:
This site breaks GPL, that ain't cool
(from worstnightmare's sig)
OK! OK! We get it! It was bad! It was a dumb mistake and what we were doing did violate the GPL. Again, I'm sorry.

And again, I'm sorry, but while Hula Girl is indeed a fun widget by an undoubtably talented developer who is probably deserving of a Mac mini, we have seen a great deal of evidence that he casted multiple votes and no conclusive evidence that he hasn't. If anyone can step forward with proof that the developer did not cheat, we'll apologize and retract our disqualification.

Hopefully this way debate will continue sanely?
Sorry i was sleeping it's changed now
Administrator

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobobo wrote:
Just because they are behind the same router doesn't mean they're the same person. Remove the duplicate votes, and make sure they don't happen in the first place.

And PM99, if you're reading this, I'd really appreciate getting that microphone that I won oh... 5 months ago? Thanks

You didn't receive it? Email "pourhadi", that was one of the few contest prizes I didn't manage, pourhadi did.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 - 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...Lotsa things going on here.

I also have the problem Gnomette is having...basically, everything on the left invades and overlaps the right. Window may be narrow, but I like it that way! Isn't there a way to fix this?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.