Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

"Font" <key> usage in info.plist: Using a no

snyvlboi

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 - 10:44 am    Post subject: "Font" <key> usage in info.plist: Using a no Reply with quote

Per Apple's Dashboard Reference (5/10/2005), the Font key can be used add fonts to the widget bundle that might not otherwise be installed on a user's Mac.

Being new to .plists, I'm hoping someone can help me figure how to enact page 19 of the Dashboard Reference, which describes the Font key::

Key: Font
Type: Dictionary
Description: Optional; contains an array of strings. Each
string is the name of a font included within the
widget bundle, located at its root.

How does that translate into XML in the .plist file? In Property List Editor, I added a new dictionary (New Child) to the widget root. Then, I added a string (New Sibling). There are three fields to supply data for: the Property List, Class and Value.

Obviously, class is Dictionary. Value, or so I thought, would either be the font family or the typeface. Alternating them between Value and Property List made no difference. Leaving them alternatively blank made no difference.

Searching Google--as usual--made no difference.

The only piece of Apple documentation I was able to find on this key, was the Dashboard Reference. I searched all documentation in the ADC LIbrary, to no avail.

Can someone help? I'm sure this will be useful to a lot of other widget developers who want to issue custom fonts with their widgets.

Thanks!!!

James.
Tahkcalb

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 - 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This snippet worked for me

<key>Fonts</key>
<array>
<string>FontFileName</string>
</array>

Then use/ref it in the CSS as usual.
HTH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
snyvlboi

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 - 1:07 pm    Post subject: "Font" <key> usage in info.plist: Using a no Reply with quote

Worked perfectly! Thanks!!! Very Happy
kingmob

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 - 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering that, I added it to the FAQ Smile

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 - 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to do this using the Star Wars "Aurabesh" font... or, specifically, the "Aurek-Besh" font. It's a TTF font, and I can't get it to work.

It works with other "strange" fonts, like Comic Commando, but I can't get the Star Wars font to work, or any Arabic fonts either.

Any ideas?

They are .ttf files and everything.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
noelgreen

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 - 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it out.

To use the Star Wars font "Aurek-Besh" on a dashboard widget you can follow the steps above, then put this in your CSS.

Code:
font: 8px Aurek-Besh;
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.