Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Give credit where credit is due

Poll Results: Is credit needed when copying a widget?
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Not if it is only tiny bits
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

CraigStanton

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 - 2:22 am    Post subject: Give credit where credit is due Reply with quote

I'm getting sick and tired of people copying a widget I helped create and not giving credit to the original authors. Phil, Cian and I created the NZMac.com widget and it seems that people liked it so much that they dropped their own RSS feeders and effectively stole ours. I'm not impressed.

The first was SmallApple which went from this to this. At our request they put in a mention of us.

Then I found dashboardwidgets.wdgt. That one has since been removed.

and just now I see that MacTouch went from this to this.

Why do people think it's alright to copy our code, make a few minor tweaks but mostly just change the RSS feed, and change the interface, and then publish it without saying that they copied from us. It's not that we are saying don't copy our code, we just want respect for the work we did. We've included all the notes about where we got the XML parser and such, please ddo the same for the code we added.
terryray

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 - 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, people should credit their sources.

But if it's that important to you, then I would suggest you put a note of it somewhere in your code. I looked through your widget's source and I saw nothing. I suggest you put in a note somewhere that says

"Feel free to use and modify this code, but please mention that you got it from <insert your favorite address here>"

Again, I agree you shouldn't have to do that, but I think doing so will be a lot more effective than complaining here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
CraigStanton

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 - 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryray wrote:
I agree with you, people should credit their sources.

But if it's that important to you, then I would suggest you put a note of it somewhere in your code. I looked through your widget's source and I saw nothing.

I just assumd people wouldn't be cheeky enough to try to get away with something like that. I've learned my lesson and am inserting the Creative Commons Licence into all my code files.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.