Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Dashboard for Panther!

tugga

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 - 9:52 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Okay seriously people, how hard could it be for someone to make Dashboard for Panther? Now before you all say "we have it - Konfabulator" - I mean a Dashboard that can use gadgets being posted here.

WebCore is already built into the system, as is cocoa, and everything else gadgets use. It seems that their implementation is fairly 'open', so what is stopping someone from writing a program that does exactly what dashboard does (without all the whiz-bang effects perhaps) for Panther?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this would be very cool IMO!
macnut

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 - 9:52 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

It's not possible because Apple implemented some new features to WebKit/Safari 2 in Tiger that Dashbard uses. Since Safari 2.0, and its associated WebKit WON'T be available for Panther, it is not possible to have Dashboard for Panther.

Read through this blog (by the lead developer of Safari, or something like that) for more info: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/
tugga

Ah thanks for clearing that up Macnut, I must have been mistaken since most of the gadgets in the Gadget Archive work great in Safari for Panther. Thanks for the link too, that has a lot of info about Dashboard in there! (especially considering Apple doesn't normally like much talk of upcoming features)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.