Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

What future for widget manager?

Poll Results: How many would stay loyal to an indy developer?
How many would switch to the os developers product?
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
How many would run both?
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
How many would stay loyal?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

philk

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 - 2:53 am    Post subject: What future for widget manager? Reply with quote

I see the latest buzz is around apples upcoming update which will include widget management.

I wander how many will stay loyal to pottedmeats creation for example (widget manager)?

It must be very difficult being a developer and having the possibility of your art being surpassed or perhaps replaced is a better word by someone with the developing power and inside line of Apple.

I have posted a poll and it is on the given that the indies product is as excellent as "widget manager" but applies to any useful widget that is replicated (note; not copied) by an OS generated product.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 - 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to presume that an old widget and an Apple widget/function would essentially do the same thing with similar efficiency, I'm prone to picking whichever design I like best. Or maybe the size. Maybe even the shape.

My point is, although I certainly respect the person who comes up with an idea first, often other people develop on or simply copy the idea. Copying is certainly not as admirable as inventing. But if you had a choice between two similar widgets, which came first does not necessarily correspond to which is more useful/suits you.

There is probably always a way to improve on a widget. Conceivably, even the WidgetManager. Customizability often grabs users over something static. Maybe that's one way.

At any rate, Apple's next installment is still to come, and until then I'm using what I can find! (It was sure stupid to leave out widget management though.)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.