Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Moving the 'Done' and 'i' buttons:

exg5

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 - 5:16 pm    Post subject: Moving the 'Done' and 'i' buttons: Reply with quote

I've been making my own version of the World Clock, and to get the desired look, the 'Done' button on the flip side needs to be moved. I've searched through the 3 key files in the widget folder for the 'Done' button, but to no avail.

Also, I was wondering if anybody knew how to add a new field that would be the date (June 8, 2005 --> 8 ) like on a lot of watches in the place of the 3.

I know these are easy question to answer, but I'm new to widget designing for dashboard so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Very Happy
mdc

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 - 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't the done button just a " < div id="done" >< /div > ".

you could just make a class/id in your css and call it something like donebutton and then assign the appropriate positioning to that class/id. and then encapsulate the id="done" with it.

something like:

< div id="dontbutton" >
< div id="done" > < /div >
< /div >

as to your other question, do you want the entire date where the 3 is normally?
go take a look here.

you could probably pull this off with some javascript.

< script type="text/javascript">
var d = new Date()
document.write(d.getDate())
document.write(".")
document.write(d.getMonth() + 1)
document.write(".")
document.write(d.getFullYear())
< /script>

would show 12.6.2005. you can play around with that script how you want in a positioned and formatted div to get you your date in the 3 position.

hope i was some help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
exg5

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 - 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give me your email address, I will send you my widget and then you could help me out by putting in the script. What I'm looking for is just the date number, like the number 12, for today, which is similar to the little white box on most watches so that you can figure out the date with a single glance.

Also, if you flip the widget around you'll be able to see why I would like to move the 'Done" button over to the left, and then maybe you can fix that as well. I realize I'm asking a lot of of you but it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
CraigStanton

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 - 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the date thing appearing on my World Clock widget. It shows three letters for the month to the left of the center of the clock, and the date to the right. If the time zone that you're looking at is on the weekend, the numbers are in red, otherwise they are in grey. I'm proud of the change, but I can't distribute it Sad

I emailed Apple and they don't want the widget dispersed, so I'm working on making an entirely new one.

I can tell you how to change it if you like, but there are a number of places to change. Maybe I should make it into a tutorial. Anyway, if you're game I can tell you the code I added.
JohnGaver

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 - 4:48 pm    Post subject: Don't distribute the widget - just a modifier script. Reply with quote

Craig,

If your changes are as neat as you say, it is not necessary to distribute them in widget format. Just identify the lines that have to be changed in the existing files and write a shell script or AppleScript that can be run against the existing files, to make those changes to the existing files on the user's computer. You are not sending whole files, but rather, just the changes and automating the placement of those changes into the appropriate files.

For example, look at http://www.actionamerica.org/fun/add2clockwidget.zip to see how this can be accomplished. It is a shell script that, when run from the UNIX command line (Terminal), will add a given city to the World Clock widget. If you do this, be sure that you heavily comment the script, so the end user will clearly understand what he needs to do. The above script contains about 265 lines of comments and only about 65 lines that actually do something. Also, make sure that you include commands at the beginning of the script that will backup the original widget, in case the user fails to follow the instructions and tell the user where the backup can be found.

That way, all that you are distributing is your own code. No conflict. Cool

Just a thought...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
CraigStanton

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 - 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I saw your script and was thinking about packaging the changes using something like that, but I'd want to make it a lot more user friendly, for the Average Joe that doesn't like editing shell scripts. I wonder if an Applescript wrapper would be doable. Something for the weekend I think.
exg5

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 - 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, any of the above would be great. Here is a picture of the widget. I have to redo the hands, but you can get the gyst of it. In place of the 3 o'clock symbol, I put a white box where I would like the date number. Not 7.14.04, but just (14).

mdc

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 - 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replied to your email, and i will give you a hand with it. check your email.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.