Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Mac Expo Countdown

dev_nut

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 - 11:05 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

To the author of the Mac Expo Counter: Those are some excellent graphics in your gadget, did you create them yourself? Just wanted to congratulate you on one of the better looking gadgets out there, I hope you did design it yourself, because that should mean more good looking gadgets to come.
Chris

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 - 11:05 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

:'( You mean my gadgets aren't good looking?
Seriously - a forum on this site where people with ideas for gadgets, or improved interfaces for existing ones would be great for people like me. I'm quite happy coding them all day long, but don't know where to start in photoshop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Tutlex

Well - I think it wouldn't be that hard to take the look of the Fast Search Field like the Dictionary Search does but I think the Dicitionairy Search is just the first of a bllion widgets to come taking this look so it might be worth some hours of work to design an own good looking GUI.
Solsonic

Sorry, I was trying to keep the Uniformity off the Tiger Search field. I could've made something different but oh well, mabey next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
vmirce

Sorry, I was trying to keep the Uniformity off the Tiger Search field. I could've made something different but oh well, mabey next time.

I like the look Solsonic, it is certainly very consistant with the rest of the interface. I think the point that Tutlex might have been trying to make is that in the future, as hundreds, and thousands of gadgets get released, all gadgets with a similar system-look will become almost impossible to distinguish between. While I appreciate the simplicity, I think future gadgets might have to start implementing more of their own 'look', simply so I know which one I am using! (am I using that dictionary gadget, or the Versiontracker one...?)
Solsonic

I think he makes a good point. I'm all for individuality with these, and I take no offense to his comment. Not that you were implying that i took any. :-p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Tutlex

I do like the Tiger search field. But that's the problem about the gadgets. Lots of gadgets will have a look based on the system GUI - just because it IS so beautiful.

By the way - Who is the developer of the Searchmo gadget?
vmirce

By the way - Who is the developer of the Searchmo gadget?

A guy who posts around here under the name 'pyrotoaster'.
Chris

This is to Frank.
I was looking at the code to the mac expo countdown and, although this is largely irrelevant now, I thought I may as well make a couple of comments

I was wondering whether the problem is the fact that you are using a datestring and that the webcore in the dashboard isn't parsing it right. Possibly using new Date(yr_num, mo_num, day_num [, hr_num, min_num, sec_num, ms_num]) may have worked, although both should do...*

Also - using eval() is definitely not recommended! 'Tis rather slow. A little known point about javascript is that global variables belong to the window object (although, I suppose it's obvious in lieu of their scope), so it'd be better (in terms of performance...) to use window["c"+Math.floor(daysRound%10)+".src"] etc...

*I don't know how new versions of safari and the dashboard handle certain things... This also applies to the above statement about eval()... I'll test when I have time (since I'm a curious sort of person)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.