Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Comments and Suggestions

Preferences to Ignore Useless Widgets in Showcase

gnome
Administrator

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 2:29 pm    Post subject: Preferences to Ignore Useless Widgets in Showcase Reply with quote

The number of useless widgets is beginning to concern me. Should we implement a feature to filter out eye-candy widgets from the showcase homepage? Would this be an important feature for you?
andrethegiant

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! I was just going to post that people need to stop uploading widgets that do nothing. But I like your idea better. We need all the space on our dashboard as possible (even those with 30 inchers!), and there's no room for widgets that don't do anything. If there was an option do disable useless widgets from being shown, that would be great.
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also concur with this idea Very Happy

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
zweben

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think this is a good idea.

Also, I made an image display widget that works with transparency, so basically you get an image widget by dragging in any image. There's no frame or background and it works with transparent PNG's. That should hopefully cut down on the number of image widgets. I uploaded it- it should show up as soon as a mod approves it.
galendw

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that is a very good idea.

That way, if someone is looking for eye candy they can have it. But for the rest of us, the showcase pages aren't crowded by useless widgets.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me three!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
robotspacer

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just create an "Eye Candy" category in the showcase, and add an option to hide certain categories when viewing everything? Perhaps that's what you had in mind anyway, but it seems like the best way to do it, and probably the easiest from a coding standpoint. Not to mention it would be more flexible.

I don't mind them myself... Contrary to what andrethegiant thinks, I have plenty of free space in Dashboard. A lot of the eye candy widgets suck, but some of the better ones are nice for adding a little decoration in the empty space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 - 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have such a category, the "Decorative" category.

Having the option to hide all widgets in that category will probably end up being the solution.
robotspacer

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 - 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just realized there's already a category for it.

Sounds like a good plan.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.